10/6/10

Most paintings are (intelligent) home decoration

A painting is a physical object (this is somewhat different to music and literature) - can easily be destroyed. And most pantings are going to be "lived with" - hung in a room = decoration - even if it can arouse emotion/thought (know the idea about the little boy that grew up to be a sailor?  - had a picture of a tall ship on his bedroom wall). Some go to be in museums and images circulate in other ways/media - that's where the "wow factor" images I was on about before have a place - they are are less good for this CONTEMPLATIVE use. Idea of painting being a means of expression = language = painting should have some sort of a ""narrative"". Hmmm? Well I can sit and look at my own feeble efforts for a long time (!!). On my wall at university I had two posters by Michel de Gallard - "L'hameau" (The hamlet) and "Toits d'ardoise" (Roofs of slate). How I love those paintings. Sad thing is the posters have been thrown out (arrgghh!). I'd love to make a copy of "L'hameau" - can't find it anywhere on the net - and Michel de Gallard died a few years ago. He'd have been pleased if he'd known the impression he left in my mind. So keep trucking, folks....


6 comments:

  1. Hi, I had a Michel de Gallard poster, around 1975, which I think they misnamed as "Grey Roofs of Slate". I found a part photo here.
    http://craiggeorge.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/c2a9-therawimage-33.jpg
    Also it is here:
    http://www.artvalue.com/auctionresult--gallard-michel-de-1921-2007-fr-le-village-912376.htm
    The valuation of the original is, sadly, somewhat beyond my budget.
    Regards, Eskimo_w

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anonymous', - yep, I had "Roofs of Slate" and "L'hameau" (The Hamlet), there were also other paintings of his on coasters and little panels - my sister has one. I can't find my two (big) posters - which is sad - maybe been thrown out by accident?!?! I went in to the gallery of "La Presidence" years ago and the lovely lady really wanted me to buy one - but even a small one was the price of a second-hand car. That gallery still represents him. He died a few years back - one of my regrets is that I never wen to meet him. He sold in Japan and South Africe a lot, it would seem. I have a Japanese book of his paintings - I always loved the dreamlike atmosphere. Thanks for commenting

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about..
    Κουφώματα

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - thanks - I wrote that years ago and still agree with it! Best wishes to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. A home improvement loan? You bet. A home improvement loan, which is just one kind of mortgage loan, will finance the improvements that will add value to your home and can provide you with cash too, not only take care of your bob smith, but payoff credit card debt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi We owe one of the original posters, of M.De Gallard someone gave it to us as a gift, was just wondering how much it's worth and where one would be able to sell it?

    ReplyDelete